The Future of Work at the Human-Technology Frontier

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Eelke Folmer 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Eelke Folmer

Gauging any interest from teams at DRI/UNLV to collaborate on one of NSF 10 big ideas. The future of work at the human-technology frontier will bring together NSF research communities to conduct basic scientific research on the interaction of humans, society, and technology that will help shape the future of work to increase opportunities for workers and productivity for the American economy.

We have several faculty in robotics/cybersecurity to maybe write a proposal in the area of advanced manufacturing/ smart cities. If you are interested in participating please let us know.

• #2617 Reply

Meghan Collins

Hi Eelke,

We could collaborate on such a project by contributing to the workforce development dimension for cybersecurity. DRI recently launched a middle skills training program in collaboration with SANS. The program involves a SANS certification followed by a semester-long, hands-on internship to apply and practice key aptitudes.

Let me know if you would like to chat more.

Meghan

• #2619 Reply

Paul Oh

I’ve been following (and participating) in NSF’s Future of Work (FW) program closely. FW has a lot of relevance for NV – especially given it’s service-driven economy. FW brings PIs mainly from SBE (Social, Behavioral, Economics) and EHR (Educational and Human Resources) to complement CISE/ENG PIs.

There are some interesting “dots” that can be “connected”. EG: 2 rather large companies in the driverless (Aptive/Delphi) and vertical farming (Oasis Biotech) have moved to Vegas. Up north, we’ve seen how Tesla’s Gigafactory is mainly automated. But solar and energy harvesting may be another “economy” for FW. These have potential to displace/disrupt low-wage/unskilled labor. Some fundamental and applied research for on-demand and shared economies thus arise.

Also the Harry Reid Research Technology Park (RTP) broke ground yesterday. Often NSF’s large-scale ($MM) projects look at infrastructure, so the RTP can be articulated as such.

The Achilles Heel in my mind is ensuring SBE/EHR folks in UNR/UNLV/DRI have the vision, researchers, etc to case a $$MM idea…

• #2622 Reply

Eelke Folmer

Hi Meghan / Paul,

Thanks for your replies. I have already been discussing some potential research ideas with some of our faculty (David Feil-Seifer, Shamik Sengupta, Kostas Alexis, Fred Harris).
    Not sure if you are using #slack but if you want to participate I created a slack workspace (https://join.slack.com/t/nvepscor/signup) that anyone within NSHE with a unr.edu, dri.edu, unlv.edu can join (seems a bit more useful than this forum).

Look forward to discussing.

Reply To: The Future of Work at the Human-Technology Frontier
Your information: